Infinitive Verbs And Gerunds


In this post we would learn some more about the topic gerund. One of the actual rule is using a gerund alongwith an appropriate preposition to replace an infinitive verb. Gerunds must be used after particular verbs used  firstly. They are appreciate, consider, deny, dislike, enjoy, excuse, fancy, forgive, imagine, keep, mind, pardon, remember, understand and risk. Some of the examples are given below.

1. I appreciate your giving me so much help.
2. Are you considering this hero in the next film?
3. Do you deny seeing me at the farewell function?
4. I dislike shaking hands with him.
5. We do enjoy discussing for hours, don't we?
6. Please excuse our dancing irregularly.
7. Can you fancy my asking the old woman for a supper out?
8. Forgive my asking this help.
9. Imagine my participating in a essay writing contest?
10. Don't keep standing in the outside ground.
11. Do you mind passing a cup of milk?
12. Pardon my saying so, you are too selfish to gain this place.
13. Don't you remember meeting me last friday at this very function.
14. I cannot risk going to the park all by myself.
15. I understand your waiting here, but I cannot see you now.
16. We cannot give-up our calling.
17. The CBI looked forward to arresting the criminal soon.

In the same way, some first verbs like want, wish, hope, try, agree, attempt, demand, expect, learn, refuse, promise, manage, seem etc. Let us discuss some of the examples using the above verbs.

1. Do you want to see me?
2. The client wishes to meet you madam.
3. The policeman demanded to know my name.
4. Do you agree to do this work for a small amount?
5. Stalin hopes to replace me as Captain.
6. Mother expects to clear our debts by next year.
7. He is learning how to solve this problem.
8. Does he need to take a loan?
9. Prabash has managed to complete this film just on time.
10. The tuition master has promised to admit you in his class.
11. Nancy doesn't seem to care for you.

Using an infinitive or a gerund with the following verbs like begin, continue, hate, like, love, prefer, start, intend etc., can be used.
    
In the next post we would learn about 'Emphatic and Reflexive Pronouns'.

Tags: example of gerund, example of a gerund, use of gerund, gerund as a noun, all verbs list, list of all verbs, gerund use, examples of verb sentences, form of verbs list


Prior Lesson about Verbs and Gerunds in English Grammar, please visit here>

Home Page:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abdominopelvic Quadrants and Regions - Lesson 5

Parts of Speech - Noun, Pronoun, Verb, and Adverb - A Medical Transcriptionist Must Know.

Body Cells and Differentiation-Lesson 1