COMBINING FORMS AND THEIR MEANINGS
1. Fluor/o- means flourescence orluminous. Fluroscopy is a visual examination of tissues and deep structures on a fluorescent screen using fluoroscope.
2. Is/o- means same. Radioisotope- The isotope changes to a mere stable state by emitting radiation.
3. Leth/o- means death. Lethal-point to death.
4. Mucos/o- means mucous. Mucositis is the inflammation of the mucous membrane.
5. Pharmaceut/o- means drug. Radiopharmaceutical is combined form of isotope and drug. isotope + drug
6. Radi/o- means x-rays. Radioresistant is the resistance to x-rays. Radiosensitivity is the feature of accepting or responding to x-rays.
7. Roentgen/o- means x-rays. Roentgenology is the stimulation of x-rays.
8. Scintill/o- means spark. Scintillation is the use of diagnostic imaging scanner.
9. Son/o- means sound. Sonogram is the visual examination using sound waves.
10. Therapeut/o- means treatment. Therapeutic is a word that points to treatment.
11. Tom/o- means to cut. Tomography is the visual examination of axial view in depth.
12. Vitr/o- means glass. In vitro is the examination outside test tube or outside the body.
13. Viv/o- means life. In vivo means examination within inside of the living body organisms.
14. Xer/o- means dry. Xerostomia is the dryness of mouth.
Next post is the continuation of this post and we will read about radiological suffixes and prefixes. Okay.
To go to the next lesson from here please click the link below.