In this post we would learn about some of the terms and their short definitions which will reinforce your way of understanding the terms.
1. Albino means a person with the deficiency of the skin in pigment.
2. Basal layer means the deepest region of the epidermis; which gives rise to all the epidermal cells.
3. Collagen is the structural protein found in the skin and connective tissue.
4. Corium is the middle layer of the skin which is also called dermis.
5. Cuticle is the band of epidermis at the base and side of the nail plate.
6. Dermis means the corium.
7. Epidermis means the outermost layer of the skin.
8. Epithelium means the layer of skin cells forming the outer and inner surfaces of the body.
9. Hair follicle is the sac or tube within which each hair grows.
10. Horny cell is a keratin-filled cell in the epidermis.
11. Integumentary system is the skin and its accessory structures such as hair and nails.
12. Keratin is a hard, protein material found in the epidermis, hair, and nails. Keratin means horn and is commonly found in the horns of animals.
13. Lipocyte is a fat cell.
14. Lunula is the half-moon-shaped, white area at the base of a nail.
15. Melanin means a black pigment formed by melanocytes in the epidermis.
16. Sebaceous gland means an oil-secreting gland in the corium that is associated with hair follicles.
17. Sebum is an oily substance secreted by sebaceous glands.
18. Squamous epithelium is a flat, scale-like cells composing the epidermis.
19. Stratified means arranged in layers.
20. Stratum is a layer of cells.
21. Stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis, which consists of flattened, keratinized (horny), cells.
22. Subcutaneous tissue means the innermost layer of the skin, containing fat tissue.
In the next post we would go through vocabulary.
To go to the prior post please click the link below.
To go to the first post from here please click the link below