We have gone through the musculoskeletal medical terms yet. In this lesson, we are going to deal about abnormal pathological conditions of musculoskeletal system. There are several abnormal pathological disease conditions occur in the bones and muscle tissues due to the weakness and less growth and other reasons. We will see all the conditions of disease one by one now. These are the terms that are used everyday by the physicians in all the files while you involve in home or office live medical transcription files. If you are familiar with these words and their meanings, then the production would be of an easy task for you. So please go through these medical terms very carefully and understand them clearly.
1. Bunion: It is a swelling that usually found near the big toe at the metatarsophalangeal joint.
2. Crepitus: The crackling sound created in the joints when ends of any two bones rub against each other due to their rub on the toughened bone cartilage.
Ewing’s Sarcoma: Malignant tumor in the bone marrow that normally occurs in the long bones, especially in the foot and hands and pelvis bones.
4. Exostosis: Abnormal growth arises from the outer surface of the bones.
5. Muscular dystrophy: A group of inherited diseases illustrated by advancement of weakness and erosion of muscle fibers devoid of involvement of the nervous system. Duchenne’s dystrophy is the general form of this condition. An abnormal condition called pseudohypertrophy is happened because of the replacement of working muscle cells. These muscle cells have deteriorated and developed inadequately. The main symptom of this condition is weakness of the child once birth is happened.
6. Osteochondroma: This is a type of benign tumor on the bone and its cartilage. A tail-like stalk attaches this tumor to the bone and it is an outgrowth of cartilage.
7. Polymyositis: It is an abnormal condition of chronic inflammatory myopathy. The symptoms of this condition is pain and weakness with rashes on the face and extremities. In this condition, the patient’s immune system is affected and the recovery is happened by immunosuppressive therapy.
8. Fracture: This is a sudden breaking of any bone anywhere in the body. There are two types of fractures, such as simple fracture or closed fracture, compound fracture, and pathological fracture. A simple fracture, in which fracture occurs inside, but no open wound on the skin found. A compound fracture, in which bone is broken with an open wound present on the outside of the skin. In pathological fracture, it occurs because of a disease condition on the fracture site either in the bone or in the tissue near to the region due to weakness. Colles’ Fracture: This is a kind of fracture occurs in the wrist area especially at the lower tip of the radius bone. A comminuted fracture, in which fractured bone is shattered or crushed. Compression Fracture: In this type of fracture, the fractured bone is packed together. Greenstick Fracture: In this type of fracture, the fractured bone is incompletely broken and also moderately crook on the reverse side. The fracture pattern looks like a greenstick breaks into two. Impacted Fracture: In this type of fracture, one fractured portion is collided strongly into the other bone.
9. Osteosarcoma: This is a malignant type tumor arising from any bone.
10. Osteomalacia: This is an abnormal condition of softening of the bones. Osteo- means bone, -malacia means softening.
11. Osteomyelitis: It is an abnormal condition of inflammation of bone marrow and bones.
12. Osteoporosis: It is an abnormal condition of bones, in which bones get decreased bone thickness and weight. This is due to abnormal thinning and weakness of the bones.
13. Rickets: This is a disease happens generally to the children because of deficiency of vitamin D and sunlight. This disease is connected with damaged metabolism of phosphorus and calcium.
14. Talipes: This is an abnormal condition of twisting of foot fingers and gets a shape of a club, and so this condition is called clubfoot.
In the next lesson, we will learn about Laboratory Examinations used in musculoskeletal system. Okay.
To go to the next lesson, please click the link below.
To go to the FIRST LESSON, please click the link below.