Psychiatry medical terminologies:
1. -genic means produced by - psychogenic which means produced by mind.
2. -leptic means to seize hold of - neuroleptic drugs which means drugs hold the nerves.
3. -mania means obsessive preoccupation - kleptomania means obsessed for stealing.
4. -mania means obsessive preoccupation - pyromania means obsession for fire or heat.
5. -phobia means fear - agoraphobia means fear being left alone and feel anxious when away from familiar surroundings.
6. -phobia means fear - xenophobia fear of strangers.
7. -phoria means feeling or bearing - euphoria means good feelings.
8. -phoria means feeling or bearing - dysphoria means bad feeling.
9. -thymia means mind - cyclothymia means recurring alternate periods of hypomania and depression.
10. -thymia means mind - dysthymia means bad or difficult chronic disorder of mind.
In the next post we will try to learn about some of the prefixes and phobias.
To go to the prior post please click the link below