1. aaIPI (age adjusted International Prognostic Index) - The age-adjusted IPI (aaIPI) has been used in studies adopting intensive treatment approaches such as high-dose therapy (HDT) and stem cell transplantation (SCT).
2. Acticoat – nanocrystalline silver surgical dressing that is an antimicrobial barrier dressing.
3. Abbott Grand Slam guide wire used in cardiac catheterization.
4. ABCD criteria for pigmented lesions - asymmetry, border irregularity, color variegation, diameter. Can also be ABCDE - evolving.
5. Abiraterone – chemotherapy drug for prostate cancer.
6. Absolute self-expanding stent.
7. Abumi method for cervical spinal pedicle screw placement.
8. Acanya (benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin phosphate) - used for acne treatment
9. Acapella chest physiotherapy device for cystic fibrosis patients.
10. Acetadote – antidote for acetaminophen overdose (like Mucomyst).
11. Actemra – new medication for rheumatoid arthritis.
12. Activent-style pressure equalization tube.
13. ACTOplus - combination of Pioglitazone and Metformin, to control blood sugar.
14. ADAMTS protease levels 1 through 20 – enzyme that influences the course of cancers and inflammatory diseases.
15. Adcirca (tadalafil) – medication for pulmonary hypertension.
16. Adduction vs abduction:
17. Adduction: moving toward the midline of the body.
18. Abduction: moving away from the midline of the body.
19. Adiana - permanent contraception. A very small device about the size of a grain of rice is placed into each fallopian tube. The fallopian tubes are blocked and scar tissue forms creating permanent blockage.