Now in this lesson we will learn about different types of Endocrine drugs
TYPES OF ENDOCRINE SYSTEM DRUGS
The various types of endocrine drugs are:-
1. Androgen:- These are male hormones that are used for male hormone replacement or to treat endometriosis and breast cancer in women.
Exs:- 1. Fluoxymesterone (Halotestin)
2. Methyltesterone (Virilon)
2. Antiandrogen:- This will be helpful to treat prostate cancer. Antiandrogens usually work by blocking the related receptors, competing for binding sites on the cell's surface, rejecting the androgen's way.
Ex:- 1. Flutamide
3. Estrogen:- These are female harmones that are used for symptoms associated with menopause and to prevent postmenopausal osteoporosis. The deficiency of Estrogen can lead to osteoporosis.
Ex:- 1. Estrogens (Premarin, Estradiol)
4. Antiestrogen:- These are used to prevent recurrence of breast cancer and to treat metastatic breast cancer. Some patients have tumors that are extra-sensitive to this normal estrogen level. Antiestrogens block the protein on the outside wall of the estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cell. By blocking this protein known as estrogen receptor, the free-floating estrogen cannot stimulate the cancer cells to grow and multiply any further.
Ex:- 1. Tamoxifen ( Nolvadex)
5. Glucocorticoid:- These hormones predominantly affects the metabolism of carbohydrates and to a smaller extent of fats and proteins. These hormones are made in the outside portion of the adrenal gland and chemically classed as steroids. Cortisol is the
major natural hormone of glucocorticoid. These hormones applies to equivalent hormones which are synthesized in the laboratory.
Exs:- 1. Dexamethasone (Decadron)
2. Prednisone (Deltasone)
6. Progestin:- This hormone suppresses the release of hormone and increases the cycle of menstruation. These progestins are prescribed for abnormal uterine bleeding due to harmonic imbalance together with estrogen in hormone replacement therapy and in oral contraceptives. The contraceptive drug imbedded under the skin is Levonorgestret also called Norplant.
Exs:- 1. Medroxyprogesterone (Provers)
2. Megestrol (Megace)
7. Thyroid Hormone:- These hormones are made artificially that prepares a lack of natural hormones produced by the thyroid gland. It is administered when there is a low output of hormone from the thyroid gland.
Exs:- 1. Levothyroxine (Synthroid)
2. Liothronine (Cytomel)
3. Liotrix (Euthroid)
In the next post we would learn about the different types of Gastrointestinal Drugs. Okay.
To go to the next post please click the link below
To go to the prior lesson click this link: