In this lesson of free medical transcription course series, we are going to deal about the important laboratory tests that are used related to the musculoskeletal system. These lab test terms are used generally in all files related to the musculoskeletal disease condition files by the dictators. You should make these terms familiar and so you can do live transcription files easily while doing production in any company. The important laboratory tests are ANA or antinuclear antibody test, ESR or erythromycin sedimentation test, serum calcium test, rheumatoid factor test, CPK or serum creatinine phosphokinase, serum phosphorus test, and uric acid test. We will see about each of these tests one by one now.
1. Uric Acid Test: This test is used to assess the total sum of uric acid in the blood sample provided by the patient. Increase of uric acid in blood more than average to an abnormal level indicates gouty arthritis to the patient.
2. Serum phosphorus: This test is utilized to measure the sum of phosphorus in the blood serum of the patient.
3. Serum creatinine phosphokinase or CPK: Serum creatinine phosphokinase is an important enzyme that is existing in the muscles, especially, in the heart muscle called cardiac muscle and skeletal muscles. The abnormal increase in the level of this enzyme is a sign of complaints, such as muscular dystrophy or skeletal muscle ailment or myocardial infarction.
4. Serum Calcium: This test measures the sum of total calcium present in the serum of the blood.
5. Rheumatoid Factor Test: This test is used to analyze whether the rheumatoid factor is present or not in the blood serum of the patient who has rheumatoid arthritis.
6. ESR or Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate: This is a test that helps to measure the speed at which the red blood cells drop to the base of a test tube. If the patient has rheumatoid arthritis, the speed of the sedimentation rates would accompany with inflammatory complaints.
7. ANA or antinuclear antibody test: If the tested patient has SLE or systematic lupus erythematosus then antibodies would be present in the blood sample in the blood plasma.
In the next lesson, we will learn about Clinical Courses of Action of Musculoskeletal System. Okay.
To go to the First Lesson from here, please click the link below.
To go to the prior lesson from here, please click the link below.