Now in this post we would try to learn about the personality disorders:
Personality disorders:- Personality disorders are starting patterns of thinking and ways of relating to and perceiving the environment and one's self. Whenever these traits become rigid and inflexible, founding impairment of working, distress, and conflict with others, they contains personality disorders. Examples of personality disorders are
1. Antisocial disorders:- Those people with this disorder may include persistent lying, apparent lack of remorse or empathy, inability to keep jobs or stay in school, lack of realistic, long term goals, maintain relationships such as marriage, poor behavioral controls, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extreme entitlement, a history of childhood conduct disorder, tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others, disregard for the safety of self or others etc.,
2. Histrionic disorders:- The people with this type of disorder may suffer from exhibitionist behavior, constant seeking of approval, sudden seductive appearance or behavior, somatic symptoms, low tolerance for frustration, rapidly shifting emotional states that may appear superficial, tendency to believe that relationships are more intimate etc., or in general we say that emotional, attention-seeking, immature and dependent, irrational outbursts and tantrums; flamboyant and theatrical; having general dissatisfaction.
3. Narcissistic disorders:- These people grandiose sense of self-importance or uniqueness and preoccupation with fantasies of success and power. Narcissism is a pervasive interest in one's self with a lack of empathy for others or in general an oversensitive temperament at birth, over indulgence and overvaluation by parents, excessive admiration that is never balanced with realistic feedback, severe emotional abuse in childhood, excessive praise for good behaviors or excessive criticism for poor behavior in childhood.
4. Paranoid disorders:- Those people who suffer with continually suspicious and mistrustful of other people; jealous and overly concerned with hidden motives of other; sudden to take offence or in general suspects, harming or deceiving him or her, is reluctant to confide in others, benign remarks as threatening or demeaning, has recurrent suspicions etc.,
5. Schizoid disorders:- Emotionally cold and aloof indifferent to praise or criticism or to the feelings of other; few friendships and rarely appears to experience strong emotions, such as anger or joy or in general neither wishes nor celebrates close relationships, has little interest in having sexual experiences with another person, if any activities are there then takes pleasure in few, lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives, appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others.
6. Schizophrenia disorders:- This disorder is characterized by withdrawal from reality into an inner world of disorganized thinking and conflict. There is mental deterioration from a previous level of function in areas of schizophrenia such as work, social relations, and self-care.
Some of the characteristic symptoms are:
1. Delusions such as thought broadcasting.
2. Halucinations, which may involve many voices the person perceives as coming from outside her or his head.
3. Disorganized thinking such as loosening of associations. It may result in incoherent incomprehensible speech.
4. Flat affect, which is marked by monotonous voice, immobile face and no signs of expression. Affect also may be inappropriate.
5. Impaired interpersonal functioning and relationship to the outside world such as emotional detachment and social withdrawal. Autism is often a feature of schizophrenia.
Physicians explain different kinds of schizophrenia, such as catatonic type, disorganized type and paranoid type.
In the next post we would learn about Sexual and Gender identity disorders
To go to the NEXT post please click the link below
To go to the PRIOR post please click the link below