Now in this post we would try to learn about the drug abuse substances examples and their dependence.
1. Alcohol:- The dependence of alcohol is commonly dealt with the use and abuse of other psychoactive drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, heroin, amphetamines. Slurred speech incoordination, unsteady gait, nystagmus which include rapid, rhythmic movement of the eyeball, impairment in attention or memory, stupor or coma these all include in the dependence of signs of alcohol. This is also associated with the depression, but usually the depression appears to be a consequence, not a cause, of the drinking.
2. Amphetamines:- This is a psychostimulant drug that is known to produce wakefulness and focus in dealing with decreased fatigue and appetite. These central nervous system stimulants are taken orally or intravenously. Some of the examples of this amphetamines are:
1. Amphetamine (Benezedrine)
2. Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) and
3. Methamphetamine (Desoxyn or speed)
Appetite suppressants also known as diet pills are amphetamine like drugs. The two behaviors which are psychological and behavorial changes are associated with amphetamine dependence include anger, tension or anxiety, impaired judgement, inability to enjoy what was in the previous pleasure and social isolation. These physical symptoms include tachycardia or bradycardia, pupillary dilation, nausea, elevated or low blood pressure, and muscular weakness.
3. Cannabis (Marijuana):- The psychoactive properties which are derived from the cannabis plant plus chemically similar synthetic substances all include in this class of drugs. The examples are marijuana, hashish, and purified delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the major psychoactive ingredient in these substances. Following the smoking of cannabis, these psychological and physical symptoms include euphoria, impaired motor coordination, anxiety, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal and impaired judgement. Increased appetite, dry mouth, and tachycardia are the other signs of cannabis intoxication.
4. Cocaine:- This stimulant drug produces euphoria as well as vasoconstriction, tachycardia, and hypertension. This comes from the leaves of the coca tree. The most commonly used cocaine is cocaine hydrochloride powder, which is inhaled through the nostril and then absorbed into the bloodstream through mucous membranes. The heroin namely speedball also mixed with this and injected intravenously. This mixture is particularly dangerous because cocaine and heroin act synergistically in depressing respiratory function. The separation of cocaine from its powdered salt forms such as ether, ammonia, or baking soda, the resulting coaine alkaloid is commonly called freebase. The smoked form is known as crack or rock. The user of cocaine is also dependent on alcohol or sedatives, which are taken in an attempt to alleviate the after effects like anxiety, depression, and fatigue of cocaine intoxication.
In the next lesson we would learn about the remaining drug abuse substances.
To go to the prior post please click the link below: