Some of the suffixes of the MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM are given below:
1. –blast means embryonic or immature cell. Osteoblast is the cell breaks down bone to remove bone tissue.
2. –clast means to break. Osteoclast means the break down of cell to remove bone tissue.
3. –listhesis means slipping. Spondylolisthesis means forward slipping or subluxation of a vertebra over a lower vertebra.
4. –malacia means softening. Osteomalacia means a condition in which vitamin D deficiency leads to decalcification of bones known as rickets in children.
5. –physis means to grow. Epiphysis and Pubic symphysis are the best examples.
6. –porosis means pore or passage. Osteoporosis means loss of bony tissue and decreased mass of bone. Pathological conditions and fractures.
7. –tome means instrument to cut. Osteotome means surgical chisel which is designed to cut bone.
SPECIFIC BONES OF RELATED TERMS
Let us discuss some of the related terms for the combining forms of some specific bones and their meaning.
1. Acetabul/o means acetabulum. Acetabular is the hip socket.
2. Calcanc/o means calcaneus or heel bone. Calcaneal is one of the tarsal (foot) bones.
3. carp/o means carpals (wrist bones). Carpal is the wrist bone.
4. clavicul/o means clavicle or collar bone. Supra_clavicular in which supra- means above.
5. cost/o means ribs(true ribs, false ribs, and floating ribs). Subcostal means part of ribs. Chondrocostal means cartilage that is attached to the ribs.
6. crani/o means cranium or skull bones. Craniotomy means study of skull bones.
7. femor/o means femur or thigh bone.
We will learn about some more combining forms in the next post.