Sunday, February 20, 2011
In the previous post, you have learned about some of the combining forms of musculoskeletal system, but in this post, we will learn about some important suffixes and prefixes of the musculoskeletal system. Definitely this post will be useful for the learners of the Medical Transcription freely here. The terms that are used in this post are generally used by the doctors in the dictations on a daily basis in the medical field and will be useful for the learners, so that you can easily know or grasp the idea of the forms of medical terms.
Let us come to know about some of the prefixes
1. The prefix form ab- means away from and its terminology is abduction which means movement of an extremity or other body part.
2. The prefix form poly- means many or much and its terminology is polymyalgia which means the pain in many muscles or “poly” means many, “my” means muscle and “algia” means “pain”.
3. The prefix form dorsi- means back and its terminology is dorsiflexion which means the movement which brings the top of the foot towards the lower leg or moving the foot downwards.
4. The prefix form ad- means toward and its terminology is adduction which means movement of a limb towards the midline of the body.
5. The prefix form supra- means above or upper and its terminology is supraliminal which means beyond the threshold of consciousness.
Let us also come to know about some of the suffixes
1. The suffix form -asthenia means lack or loss of strength and its terminology is my asthenia gravis which means the muscles lose strength for the reason of a failure in transmission of the nervous impulse from the nerve to the muscle cell.
2. The suffix form –trophy and its another terminology is amyotrophic which means the muscles which lost their nourishment
3. The suffix form –scopy means visual examination and its terminology is arthroscopy which means visual examination of the joint.
4. The suffix form –trophy and its another terminology is hypertrophy which means increase in size of an organ or tissue.
5. The suffix form -trophy means development or nourishment and its terminology is atrophy which means decrease in size of an organ or tissue.
6. The suffix form –necrosis means death and its terminology is avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis which means a condition that develops when blood supply lessens.
To go to the Prior lesson from here please click the link below
To go to the First lesson from here please click the link below
Thursday, February 10, 2011
In this post we would try to learn about the combining forms and their meaning. In this article, we will learn about some important Musculoskeletal combining forms. As a Medical Transcription learner, you all should know about these combining forms. While you are doing live files at any company or at home, physicians often dictate these words or terms in their files related to Musculoskeletal system. Generally the main usage of combining forms is to join two or more medical words into one word.
1.The combining form my/o, its another terminology is electromyography which is a technique for calculating and recording the electrical activity by the production of skeletal muscles.
2.The combining form fasci/o means fascia which means ‘forms sheaths enveloping muscles’ and its terminology is fasciectomy which explains surgical removal of fascia.
3.The combining form iciomy/o means smooth and its terminology is leiomyoma or visceral which means a benign smooth muscle which develops new growth or new development which is not premalignant.
4.The combining form myocardi/o means heart muscle and its terminology is myocardial which means pertaining to the muscular tissue of the heart.
5.The combining form fibr/o means fibrous connective tissue and its terminology is fibromyalgia where it explains the Chronic pain and stiffness in muscles and fibrous tissue especially of the back, neck, shoulders, hips, and knees. The common complaint is ‘Fatigue’. The condition has also been called ‘fibrositis’ or ‘rheumatism’.
6.The combining form myos/ means muscle and its terminology is myositis which is the basic or general term used for inflammation of the muscles (swelling of the muscles, injury, infection, certain medicines and even some exercises).
7.The combining form iciomy/o, its another terminology is leiomyosarcoma which means the muscles that lines the walls of internal organs.
8.The combining form rhabdomy/o means skeletal and its terminology is rhabdomyoma which means muscles that are connected or striated to bones.
9.The combining form my/o means muscle and its terminology is myalgia which means muscle pain and it is the symptom of many diseases and disorders.
10.The combining form rhabdomy/o, its another terminology is rhabdomyosarcoma is a cancerous tumor of the muscles or malignant tumor of the muscles that are attached to the bones. It is the most common soft tissue sarcoma in children.
11.The combining form plant/o means sole of the foot and its terminology is plantar flexion which is an ankle movement that increases the approximate 90 degrees of angle between the front part of the foot and the shin.
Today, we will know about an interesting medical term in medical language. This post is just to know about a different thing in the medica...