We can divide Abdominopelvic cavities into nine regions.
(1) Hypochondriac regions (left and right) - 2
(2) Epigastric region - 1
(3) Lumbar regions - 2
(4) Umbilical region - 1
(5) Inguinal regions - 2
(6) Hypogastric regions - 2
Now we can see each region and the organs containing in each region:
(1) Hypochondriac regions (left and right):- These regions are two in number and they are in the upper right and left regions below the rib cartilages that extend over the abdomen. (chondr/o means cartilage).
(2) Epigastric region:- This is the region which is above the stomach.
(3) Lumbar regions:- These regions are near the waist in the left and right side.
(4) Umbilical region:- This is the region also called Umbilicus region which is in the naval portion of the body.
(5) Inguinal regions:-These are regions in the lower part of the abdomen in the right and left sides near the groin where the two legs join to the trunk of the body. (Inguin/o mean groin).Iliac is the another name for this regions as the ilium (a bone which is present in the upper portion of the hip on each of the body) is near to this region.
(6) Hypogastric region:- This region is in the lower middle portion below the Umbilical region.
In the next lesson we will see about ABDOMINAL QUADRANTS...COME ON...